Re: [opensuse] Need monitor recommendation
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:40:34 -0500
On Thursday 14 December 2006 14:02, Greg Wallace wrote:
> I am in the market for a new monitor (still using old CRT). I'm looking
> for just a small monitor, say 17 inch. Can someone suggest a brand and
> type (if there is more than one type like there are with TVs these days --
> i. e. plasma, etc, etc).
>
> Thanks,
> Greg Wallace
The LCD monitors (standard size, not the long thin movie size)
all should work well. 1280x1024 is the common pitch, and it will
work just fine. I have an X2gen which works--it's a 19"--but
there are lots of very good buys on 17" screens. I haven't used
an Acer, but that's a very reliable name in computer hardware.
Tiger Software always has some deals on LCD's. Do not go for
anything that has a rebate offer. You will probably never get the
rebate, for reasons that Tiger is not completely responsible for.

It is really nice to have a 15 pound monitor, rather than a 50
pound one! The failure mode: the LCD is lit up by a very expensive
fluorescent light. When it fails, you will probably have to buy a
new monitor. But when your CRT fails, you would also have to
buy a new monitor. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

--doug