Re: [opensuse] Sound not working
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:37:11 -0500
On Thursday 14 December 2006 18:56, Dan Chesmore wrote:
> I still do not have sound. We actually have some progress after the
> fresh install to 10.2 but there is no sound. It shows up within YAST as
> an ATI Multimedia device just as 10.1 did. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Hi Dan,

I don't know if it'll help, but I'll share my personal collection of SUSE
Linux sound 'forensics/repair' notes:

a) try, as root in a shell, deleting the file /etc/modprobe.d/sound and
running alsaconf

b) for a sound card with a broken config or won't configure at all:

as root:
rpm -e --nodeps kdemultimedia3-mixer (removing just the mixer)
ldconfig
rcalsasound stop
rm /etc/asound.state
rcalsasound start
alsactl store
then run:
alsaconf

Note: After you have your sound settings right, open up another terminal, su
to root and type: alsactl store ... (read man alsactl for more info.)

c) www.alsa-project.org is a good place to go if you're having problems with
sound under Linux

hth & regards,

Carl