RE: [opensuse] Need monitor recommendation
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:24:05 -0600

On 2006/12/14 @ 1:30 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
>On 2006/12/14 13:02 (GMT-0600) Greg Wallace apparently typed:

>> I am in the market for a new monitor (still using old CRT). I'm looking
for
>> just a small monitor, say 17 inch. Can someone suggest a brand and type
(if
>> there is more than one type like there are with TVs these days -- i. e.
>> plasma, etc, etc).

>In case you're not aware, flat panel displays all have a "native"
>resolution, which when not used results in quality that is less than
>that at native, often significantly less. Usually, a resolution higher
>than native is impossible. As a consequence, be sure of the resolution
>you wish to use before shopping for any flat panel display.

>If you wish to be able to freely switch among various resolutions, such
>as for web page or app development, you'll want to stick to a CRT.

>Perfectly good CRT and easily repaired displays can be had used for
>cheap or free from such places as FreeCycle and Craig's List due to
>corporate "upgrade" policies discarding old equipment according to age
>rather than malfunction. I have 3 nice 19" Dells (made by Sony) and 2
>nice 17" Sonys that I paid 0 for. Several were malfunctioning when I got
>them, but easily fixed using free information from the internet, and in
>two cases requiring parts costing less than $1.

>FWIW, this is what I bought 3 months ago, though at a much better price
>due than shown now. Rebate and lower price and free shipping resulted in
>a total cost to me of about $204.
>--
>"Let your conversation be always full of grace." Colossians 4:6 NIV

> Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

>Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

Felix:

Interesting about the resolution issue with flat screen monitors. At this
point, I think I need to provide some more detail about why I'm looking for
a new monitor (I have a CRT monitor now). My Windows machine recently
played out on me, so I bought a new Dell machine to replace it. I always
use 2 accounts on Windows machines, Administrator and my own personal
limited account. I set this up and, right off of the bat, had a problem.
If I had both accounts logged on and switched between them, then when I
first went into an account, the monitor would completely power down for
about 10 or 15 seconds. Then, it would power back up and power back down
again for a fraction of a second. After that, it would work fine. That
same exact pattern repeated every time I switched accounts. I reported this
issue to Dell and they said, no problem, we'll just send you another
machine. They did, and the issue was still there with the new machine. I
worked with a Dell technician over the phone today and he had me turn off
the video card. When I did, the issue went away. He also had me try
turning the video card back on and changing the resolution to the lowest
possible setting. The issue again went away, except for the brief flashing
of the monitor when I switched accounts. At that point, he said my problem
was with my old CRT monitor. He said they are obsolete and, if I got a flat
panel monitor, the issue would clear up. The video card on the machine is
an ATI 256 MB Radeon X1300 Pro. I'm now wondering if a second and maybe
better option would be to just replace the video card. Do you know whether
those particular cards are known to have issues?

Thanks,
Greg Wallace