Re: [opensuse] Need monitor recommendation
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:30:25 -0500
On 2006/12/14 13:02 (GMT-0600) Greg Wallace apparently typed:

> I am in the market for a new monitor (still using old CRT). I'm looking for
> just a small monitor, say 17 inch. Can someone suggest a brand and type (if
> there is more than one type like there are with TVs these days -- i. e.
> plasma, etc, etc).

In case you're not aware, flat panel displays all have a "native"
resolution, which when not used results in quality that is less than
that at native, often significantly less. Usually, a resolution higher
than native is impossible. As a consequence, be sure of the resolution
you wish to use before shopping for any flat panel display.

If you wish to be able to freely switch among various resolutions, such
as for web page or app development, you'll want to stick to a CRT.

Perfectly good CRT and easily repaired displays can be had used for
cheap or free from such places as FreeCycle and Craig's List due to
corporate "upgrade" policies discarding old equipment according to age
rather than malfunction. I have 3 nice 19" Dells (made by Sony) and 2
nice 17" Sonys that I paid 0 for. Several were malfunctioning when I got
them, but easily fixed using free information from the internet, and in
two cases requiring parts costing less than $1.

FWIW, this is what I bought 3 months ago, though at a much better price
due than shown now. Rebate and lower price and free shipping resulted in
a total cost to me of about $204.
--
"Let your conversation be always full of grace." Colossians 4:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409