Re: [opensuse] CDDB (freedb) lookup for .wav files on disk
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:00:47 -0500
On Thursday 14 December 2006 11:13, Joachim Schrod wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some directories with wav files that were dumped from a CD.
> They have the enlightening file names track??.wav.
>
> If I burn these files to a CD, I can do a freedb lookup on them.
> I'm looking for a tool that allows me to do this freedb lookup on
> the directory.
>
> At first, I thought k3b could do it, since it has this nice
> CDDB-button in its AudioCD project window. But putting all WAV files
> in the project and pressing this button just returns an error dialog
> with the message "Communication error". Tracing the communication
> with freedb, it seems as if k3b doesn't send the right disc-id, as
> freedb returns "Already performed a query for disc ID: 00000000".
>
> Can anybody help me here?
>
> Joachim

The program you want is Easytag which works really well for this.

However, it seems that the freedb database has been taken over by someone
else, (go to the web site to find out) and the database is broken at this
time. Supposedly they are improving it, but it has been broken a long time.

Here is a message from the easytag owner: (dated Oct 6)
 If you are using the Cddb manual search, you probably remark that it
doesn't work any more...
On the home page of the site http://www.freedb.org you will see that
"MAGIX acquires www.freedb.org".

Due to problem of license, some services have been removed for the
moment, like the "search.php" page. This page used for the online search
was also used for the manual in EasyTAG. So this feature can't work for
the moment.

But a new search will be supplied later as you can see in this forum :
  http://www.freedb.org/en/forum/read.php?1,8

So we hope that it will be available quickly