Re: [opensuse] Sound issues when installing 10.2 --SOLVED .....
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:27:35 +1100
Clayton wrote:
OK, forget about kmix - stick it up the jumper, it's bloody hopeless in
10.2 :-( . Someone stuffed up pretty badly in 10.2 with kmix.

Install alsamixer.

When installed, lick on LINE (the bottom part will go grey) and then use
the up arrow on keyboard to raise the volume setting from zero to
wherever you want it. But make sure that your external volume control,
if you have one, is turned down before you do this :-) .

Again, a clear sign we are dealing with totally different issues. In
my case it wouldn't matter what mixer I tried to use... KMix,
alsamixer.. whatever. Wouldn't make any difference since no audio
devices are available... unless I use my USB headset.

As an experiment though, I poked around in YAST and looked at the
groups my UID is a member of. I added 'audio' to the list, logged
out/in and shazam... I've got sound.

So... why is it that I don't need to be a member of audio in 10.1 but
do in 10.2? There is something on this in the bugs, but from what I
understood, it's a workaround, not a solution? Not sure...

Anyway, I now have sound working... so I have in effect... a
functioning system... but unsure if my solution is the "right" one.

By the same token, I don't have alsamixergui installed in 10.1 and my sound works perfectly whereas I had to install it for sound to work correctly in 10.2.

Also, on the same computer, but using different HDs for 10.1 and 10.2 installs, 'cat /proc/asound/cards' shows that the sound card is a SB0400 in 10.1 while in 10.2 it shows up as SB0610.

Go figure.

The main thing, though, is that you have your sound working.

Cheers.