[opensuse] user.sel
  • From: David Andre <david.andre@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:17:35 -0500
Greetings.

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. Since SuSE 10.1, the ability to import and export user.sel files has disappeared. I understand that SuSE is now using patterns now and I've tried searching the archives for a a solution to my problem, so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

My problem is this. I need the ability to save the software selections or patterns to a file. In older OS'es such as SuSE 9.3, I was able to export my selections to a file and import them if I had to rebuild, or if I built a similar machine.

I'm not interested in the complete unattended auto installation, similar to what autoyast provides. The reason I'm not interested in the full, unattended rebuild is this. Let's say I have 5 x86_64 machines all running SuSE 10.2. I may partition the drives and configure them differently based on their needs. However, I still want the OS exactly the same. Or, I may have different user.sel files based on what the computer was used for. The only important part to me during this install is the software that I wish to install. If one of those machines died, I'd simply rebuild, providing all the partition information, network information etc, but I had the ability to install the exact same version of the software simply because of the user.sel file.

I could probably make something work by saving the output of rpm -qa, but this was something that existed in releases such as SuSE 9.3, I'm hoping the feature wasn't taken away entirely, never to be brought back.

I skipped SuSE 10.1 because it introduced the patterns file and was hoping that in SuSE 10.2, it would reintroduce the ability to import/export the software selections without having to go through the entire autoyast process.

Does anyone know of a way to import/export your software patterns/selections in SuSE 10.2? Does anyone know of a workaround, or if this feature will be added back into SuSE 10.x?

Thank you for your help.

-David