Re: [opensuse] via km400 does not do 3D
  • From: Curtis Rey <crey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:36:34 -0800

On Tue December 12 2006 17:21, linux_learner wrote:
> > glxinfo |grep direct
>
> Mesa: CPU vendor: AuthenticAMD
> Mesa: CPU name: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
> Mesa: MMX cpu detected.
> Mesa: 3DNow! cpu detected.
> Mesa: SSE cpu detected.
> Mesa: Testing OS support for SSE...
> Mesa: Yes
> Mesa: Testing OS support for SSE unmasked exceptions...
> Mesa: Yes.
> Mesa: Tests of OS support for SSE passed.
> direct rendering: No
>
> On 12/12/06, Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > * linux_learner <linux.learner@xxxxxxxxx> [12-12-06 20:12]:
> > > (II) VIA(0): direct rendering enabled
> >
> > But you do have 3D enabled.
> >
> > glxinfo |grep direct
> >

> > --
> > Patrick Shanahan Registered Linux User #207535
> > http://wahoo.no-ip.org @ http://counter.li.org
> > HOG # US1244711 Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
> > OpenSUSE Linux http://en.opensuse.org/
> > --

Mesa does not do direct rendering, which is what you'll need if you want 3D
gaming or CAD, etc. Yes Mesa will do 3D but in software which is painfully
slow for most applications and games that need fast rendering. I find games
literally unplayable with mesa - it's essentially a slide show.

See if you can't find 3D drivers that will allow "direct" rendering.

Cheers, Curtis.

- --
Spammers Beware: Trespassers will be shot,
survivors will be shot again!

Like the song say: "Everything's 'Zen'... I don't think so"!