Re: [opensuse] Failsafe vs. Normal Boot (SOLVED)
  • From: Dave Barton <db@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:09:30 +1100
On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 01:22 +0100, Leendert Meyer wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 01:03, Dave Barton wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply Leen. It's the same on my 10.2 test system,
> > where both the kernel and initrd are the same for either normal or
> > failsafe. There has to be something more than just the options,
> > because if I start in failsafe mode with no options everything
> > works perfectly. The only visible difference is that failsafe
> > displays the boot process in simple vga text mode, as opposed to
> > the graphical style of the normal boot.
>
> If that is the only difference between both lines, then that has to
> be what's causing it. The vga=<whatever> is also an option. ;P
>
> It looks like the vga=... on the normal kernel line is causing
> trouble.
>
> If you change it (temporarily?) to that of the failsafe entry
> (vga=normal), you should get a working X.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Leen

Many thanks Leen. Normal booting from Grub with just "vga" (no equals)
as the only option does the trick. OK I get a text scroll of the boot
process and no "pretty" picture, but heck I can live with that.

Now all I have to do is screw up the courage to put 10.2 on my
production boxes ;-)

Thanks again.

Dave