Re: [opensuse] Failsafe vs. Normal Boot
  • From: "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:03:50 +0800
Dave Barton wrote:
> OK it appears that this info is not generally known. My searches so far
> have turned up zip. Can anyone suggest a possible source of info about
> the Failsafe boot mode. Not just the boot options (eg. acpi=off, etc).

Check out your grub menu.lst. It is quite instructive. On mine, it
says the differences are:
Same kernel
framebuffer is normal vga instead of mode 0x31a
DMA is disabled for the ide controller
APM is disabled
ACPI is disabled
Resume is disabled
edd is off (not sure of that one).
Most interesting to note, all but the first 2 will show on your boot
prompt, which IIUC, you deleted. Which only leaves one choice, the
framebuffer resolution. Perhaps the one in your normal boot line is an
unsupported resolution for your video card, and that is the cause of
your problem.

--
Joe Morris
Registered Linux user 231871