Re: [opensuse] Failsafe vs. Normal Boot
  • From: Dave Barton <db@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:03:15 +1100
On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 00:46 +0100, Leendert Meyer wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 00:32, Dave Barton wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 11:46 +1100, Dave Barton wrote:
> > > Just installed 10.2 om my test box and all appears to be OK,
> > > except that from a normal boot the KDE GUI does not display.
> > > However if I boot in failsafe mode with all boot options removed
> > > (except init 5) the display works perfectly. Can any one tell me
> > > what the difference is between Failsafe with all options (eg.
> > > acpi=off, etc) removed and a normal boot?
> >
> > OK it appears that this info is not generally known. My searches
> > so far have turned up zip. Can anyone suggest a possible source of
> > info about the Failsafe boot mode. Not just the boot options (eg.
> > acpi=off, etc).
>
> On my 10.2 system, in both cases (normal and failsafe) the kernel and
> the initrd are the same, so the difference has to be in the options.
>
> BTW, how can I (or anyone) tell the difference between something
> invisible? ;-) I mean: why don't you cut & paste GRUB's kernel lines
> of your normal and your failsafe with removed options?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Leen

Thanks for the reply Leen. It's the same on my 10.2 test system, where
both the kernel and initrd are the same for either normal or failsafe.
There has to be something more than just the options, because if I start
in failsafe mode with no options everything works perfectly. The only
visible difference is that failsafe displays the boot process in simple
vga text mode, as opposed to the graphical style of the normal boot.

Regards

Dave