Re: [opensuse] Splitting MP3's
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:31:03 -0800

> > > try (as root) :
> > >
> > > rc <TAB>
> > > (type the letters r then c then the TAB key)
> > > to see the list of restartable services (one of the handy
> > > openSUSE things :-)
> >
> > You'll probably need two presses of the TAB key. The first one will
> > just beep, the second will list all available completions in the
> > context of the current cursor position within the current command
> > line.
>
> Good tip, thanks. I'm so used to /etc/init.d that I'll probably
> continue using that. I can see I'll have to read up on the
> differences between Suse and Debian. Problem is I run a couple of
> Debian servers where I only have SSH access so I don't want to go
> trying Suse specific commands there :)

Here's another fun trick:

- Type rc<ALT+TAB>
This will produce a "command" line containing all the expansions for
commands whose names start with "rc" (and are in the current PATH).

- Type <HOME> followed by "ls -l $( type -p "
- Type <END> followed by ")" and <RETURN>

(Note: the double quotes here are not to be typed, but simply delimit
the characters you should type.)

You'll see that most of these "rc..." commands are symbolic links to
files in /etc/init.d.

> --
> John K Masters

Randall Schulz