Re: [opensuse] test for hdd
  • From: "Leen de Braal" <ldb@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:24:18 +0100 (CET)

> do you know any utility able to do for a hdd what memtest do
> for RAM?
>
> It seems like I have HW problems and I can't figure out
> what. fsck don't gives anything.
>
> symptoms: on heavy work, linux freezes, disk is corrupted,
> but as soon as I reformat it fsck -c don't complain anymore,
> but the freeze keep occuring again. tested with ext3 and
> reiserfs :-(
>
> I don't remember having seen badblocks listed by fsck,
> arrors where like date of the superblock in the future or
> inode error (and there has been a crash, so this is not
> surprising)
>
> the cpu could be hot, but I fixed the fan (some oil) and
> still freezes :-(

If this is an older mainboard (+3 yrs), check the caps on the mobo. Top of
the elco's needs to be flat, not like an english bowlerhat. Known problem
with older hardware. Could be a problem inside your powersupply too, by
the way.

If you still suspect your drive, your diskmanufacturer should have
testtools on their site available, some of them (like powermax from
Maxtor) even repair a disk by doing a lowlevel format. Have been able to
revive drives that were having a lot of bad blocks. Of course you
understand that this is destructive for your data.

> thanks
> jdd
> --
> http://www.dodin.net