[opensuse] Re: [opensuse-amd64] 32 bit or 64
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:12:02 -0600
On 12/12/06, Russell Jones <russell.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I guess you need to make a list of apps that are important to you and check
if there are 64-bit versions (
http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories , e.g.
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/
and perhaps
http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories
) . I'd guess if there are 32-bit versions, with a few exceptions such as
OpenOffice.org and Macromedia flash (fixes are under development for both of
these, AIUI), there are 64-bit versions. And on a 64-bit processor you will
get better performace running 64-bit OS, but slightly degraded performance
for 32-bit apps as I understand it. But you shouldn't have to run many of
those. Have a look at this thread:
http://lists4.opensuse.org/opensuse/2006-05/msg03890.html
That's for 10.1. I a lot of stuff has changed in 10.2, so I'm not sure how
many of the problems still apply.
More notes on desktop-type usage (for 64-bit in general) here:
http://enterprise.linux.com/comments.pl?sid=37280&op=&threshold=0&commentsort=0&mode=thread&tid=23&tid=7&cid=91053

The problems with 64 bit include: java plugin for Firefox - no java
applets (now as Java is GPLed, maybe this will be fixed). Flash - no
64bit still (I live happily w/o it, but sometimes I miss youtube :) ).
OOo - not yet (KOffice has become very very good alternative). 32bit
codecs for multimedia (this may cause some wmv files not playing,
etc.).

For all of the above, you can install 32 bit versions of the products,
but I do not like to make such a mess :)

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.