Re: [opensuse] test for hdd
  • From: S Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:03:49 -0600
On Tuesday 12 December 2006 10:19, jdd wrote:
> do you know any utility able to do for a hdd what memtest do
> for RAM?
>
> It seems like I have HW problems and I can't figure out
> what. fsck don't gives anything.
>
> symptoms: on heavy work, linux freezes, disk is corrupted,
> but as soon as I reformat it fsck -c don't complain anymore,
> but the freeze keep occuring again. tested with ext3 and
> reiserfs :-(

Check your power supply too. Joachim's suggestions on cables is good too.

A useful tool I've found is www.UltimateBootCD.com. Comes with lots of hard
drive diagnostic utilities as well as other troubleshooting software.
Depending on the drive manufacturer their utilities may offer both
non-destructive as well as destructive options. Haven't tried all of them
but the ones I've tried offer surface test analysis.

> thanks
> jdd

Stan