[opensuse] Re: test for hdd
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:41:31 +0100
jdd wrote:
do you know any utility able to do for a hdd what memtest do for RAM?

It seems like I have HW problems and I can't figure out what. fsck don't gives anything.

symptoms: on heavy work, linux freezes, disk is corrupted, but as soon as I reformat it fsck -c don't complain anymore, but the freeze keep occuring again. tested with ext3 and reiserfs :-(

the cpu could be hot, but I fixed the fan (some oil) and still freezes :-(

Does the disk support SMART and do you not use SATA?
Then smartmontools might help you, you could check the error state of the disk.

Furthermore, you might want to change the disk cable. Quite often such intermittent problems like yours are caused by defect cables. I had one myself last year and recognized it only after I changed the disk and the same error occured again.

On a related note, for other readers: In 10.0, smartmontools don't work with SATA disks. Anybody knows if this has changed in 10.1 or 10.2, with a more recent kernel?

Joachim