Re: [opensuse] test for hdd
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:29:44 -0500
On 12/12/06, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
do you know any utility able to do for a hdd what memtest do
for RAM?

It seems like I have HW problems and I can't figure out
what. fsck don't gives anything.

symptoms: on heavy work, linux freezes, disk is corrupted,
but as soon as I reformat it fsck -c don't complain anymore,
but the freeze keep occuring again. tested with ext3 and
reiserfs :-(

I don't remember having seen badblocks listed by fsck,
arrors where like date of the superblock in the future or
inode error (and there has been a crash, so this is not
surprising)

the cpu could be hot, but I fixed the fan (some oil) and
still freezes :-(

thanks
jdd

Are you getting anything in your dmesg output?

If your lucky it will show up in /var/log/warn. If not and the freeze
is hard enough you would need to connect up a serial console.

If you think it is a disk media failure you can try a simple "dd
if=/dev/hda of=/ev/null bs=4k" from rescue mode on the boot CD/DVD.
See /var/log/warn for specific sector failures.

Since you say it happens under load, I'm more inclined to think it is
a power issue or a bad driver.

Is this PATA or SATA (etc.)?
What driver?
What kernel?

If it does look like a driver issue, the lkml-ide list is pretty
active these days supporting bugs, but they are going to be more
supportive if your running at least a 2.6.18 kernel (ie. the one from
SUSE 10.2)

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer