Re: [opensuse] On my SUSE linux 10.1 kernel: ide: failed opcode was 0xef RESOLVED/Work around. Disable HT
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 07:51:42 -0700
On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> On my laptop I just started getting this error below about 3 weeks ago. I
> have tried to track it down, but I have been unsuccessfule. The message
> in the log is...
>
> Dec 6 06:33:35 blg kernel: ide: failed opcode was: 0xef
>

> This is the last message in logs and then I am not able to close any
> windows in KDE or write to the HD. The only way to get things to work is
> a power off. I have been unable to track down what is causing this
> problem. It can happen from an hour to 6 days. That is the longest I
> have made it. I have another laptop which is almost exactly the same and
> it never happens. Any ideas on how to find the cause? I do notice that
> the machine near the right side of the keyboard some times is a bit warm,
> but I am not sure if that is the problem. If the machine is hung and I go
> to one of my X-terms on the machine I quicly find out that it is hung. An
> other symtom is the clock in the lower right conner stops advancing. Also
> the repeat on the arrow keys stops functioning.

It appears that disabling HT resolves the issue. I have not had a failure
since.(Knock on Wood)! I think I have now gone longer than the longest
prior lock up. So something in the later Kernel does not like my
processor being in HT mode. I think I will just leave it disabled. I
have to much to do right now to try and chase down the problem. Besides I
am going to move my laptop to 10.2. 10.2 seems to be a much better
release and seems faster.

Thanks to all the responses.

Thanks,

--