Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.2 +KDE +Evolution
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:23:46 +0100
On Tuesday 12 December 2006 14:33, Roger Oberholtzer said:
> chmod a+x my-evolution
> #!/bin/sh

I should have mentioned these myself - also gnome-keyring-daemon does not
output export - dbus-start does, which I actually uses, so I forgot to add
this. The script should be
"
#!/bin/bash
`eval gnome-keyring-daemon`
export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET
export GNOME_KEYRING_PID
"

> I wonder why the original poster used 'eval' to run the command. Very
> odd. Perhaps you also need to have the very first line in the script be:

Because 'eval' evaluates the output of the command as if it was part of the
script. Thus the GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET, GNOME_KEYRING_PID assignments are
evaluated, the variables are set, exported to the environment, and evolution
can find the keyring daemon.

You might of course end up with multiple daemons running if you start and stop
evolution though. The solution agreed when I discussed this with the Ximian
guys was to make gnome-keyring-daemon a dbus service instead of using its own
socket and protocol so that an existing instance can be found, but I guess
this is still a WIP.

Another workaround is to start the daemon and export its variables to the
global environment at the start of every x session; start the daemon as shown
in $HOME/.xinitrc - however that's not something we want or need to activate
by default. Maybe Evolution could do this for you on first run if it detects
the daemon isn't running.

BTW, kontact starts and stops kded for its keyring/wallet needs automatically.

Will