Re: [opensuse] New to group
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:41:12 +0100
Billie Erin Walsh a écrit :

Home networking.
[Four+ windows computers and my SuSE 10.1 ]
When I can get the other computers on the network to see the Linux box
at all it asks for an access password. I only have two setting on this
box. Root and "user" [ me]. Neither will work to give me access. When I
try going the other way I get asked for a password. None of the Windows
computers have access passwords set.

may be more a windows problem than linux one?

but, just in case, did you setup samba properly? samba is the windows file server for linux.

if samba (server and client) are already installed, the only mandatory thing is to do as root "smbpasswd -a <your name>" to enter your samba passwd. I bet it's done by yast, but I'm usedd to do this with command line and it's easier to explain.

after that, all depends of the windows version. I bet you must have passwd enabled on windows (but don't know how you can do that)

SaX2
Should be renamed sUx2. My first SuSE distro was 9.3 [ had 9.0 for a
VERY short time about three years ago or so. ] SaX had a LOT more
usability back then than either 10.0 or 10.1. Now you have to use the
settings it gives or else.

I lost my system Saturday night trying to change the resolution on my
monitor. These poor old eyes just ain't up to those super high
resolutions. I was having to go to 22 and 24 for font sizes to get them
barely big enough to see.

I don't like sax2 GUI neither :-(

but it's easily fixed with any text editor (For example vi). As root, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
somewhere you have:

Section "Screen"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
(...)
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection

look at the "default" number and edit the given section. Write the definition you want _first_ on the line (modes "640x480" ... for example), then logout (may be reboot or do init 1 init 5) to have the new config.

and you should be able to change from one value to the other using "Alt Ctrl grey+" from the keyboard if it's only once

with, what I consider, THE ultimate backup utility. It will create
bootable ISO cd/DVD's of the entire system. It would be nice to have
that ability

look up google for "mondo/mindi"

problem is with the so hudge dosks we have now, backing up all is awkward

Why can't the instructions be "SIMPLE". There are people out here that
aren't geeks, nerds or guru's.

we try to do this on the wiki. original instructions are made by the programmer, a good programmer is not necessarily a good teacher :-(

web pages. Do my e-mail. Surf the web. AND spend way to much money on
eBay. I could use a little more simplicity to get things to work here.

it's the price to pay for safety and stability. unfrequent things can be done as root, day to day works should not

it's slow going. Be damned if I will give up on it. Just ignore my
rants.

no. but if you find a solution, writing it to the wiki should be enough reward for us, thanks

AND, keep your answers simple enough for an idiot to follow. I
WILL get there eventually.

If I didn't have computers to drive me nuts, I'd have to take up golf.

this can drive you nuts also :-)

eMachine 3506
3.5 GHz Dual Core Celeron
1 Gig
Windows XP only *<[:op [ Don't know if I will use the Vista upgrade or
not Wonder what it would bring on eBay. *<[:oD ]

better not, not powerfull enough :-) needs upgrading :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://dodin.org/mediawiki/index.php/GPS_Lowrance_GO