Re: [opensuse] Bad display on new monitor
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:50:51 +1100
Rob Wright wrote:
On Monday 11 December 2006 15:16, Bruce Marshall wrote:
On Monday 11 December 2006 14:24, Rob Wright wrote:
Greetings,

I had my trusty KDS monitor die on me over the weekend, so I've hooked up
a new Acer AL1916W widescreen flatpanel. I had some trouble initially but
after loading SuSE 10.1 in failsafe, I was able to use Sax to configure
the monitor.

Now, my KDE looks like, well, it looks like crap. My fonts in particular
are horrible, they're jagged and extremely hard to read. Is there
something I should install to remedy the situation, or some other setings
to adjust? So far the setup I have, via Yast, is as follows:
What is supposed to be the 'native' resolution for the monitor?. What you
gave sounds kinda weird. If you don't run it at the resolution that it
is designed for, it's not going to look very pretty.

The 1400x900 is the native resolution. I've changed it to 1400x1050, and that's helped a little but it's still not great. I did set anti-aliasing to 'slight' and that improved things as well, but it's still pretty poor.
I'll keep pecking at it and see if I figure something out.

Don't change the native resolution of the monitor which is 1440x900. Use the DVI (digital) connection if your video card has DVI connector. Select sRGB as the colour temperature (which gives you "natural" colours.

In sax2 select the -->LCD option *if* the monitor was not automatically detected and there you will find that you will have the correct res. to select: 1440x900@75Hz. Select this and you will find that the Hz will drop down to 60Hz (in your case being in NA) when you check the setting in, say, Personal Settings>Peripherals>Display - *provided* you are using the digital connection otherwise it will probably stay at 75Hz.

Bought my wife a ViewSonic 19" over the weekend and it is working perfectly with above settings.

Cheers.