Re: [opensuse] Forcing a download of a file?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:22:23 -0800
On Sunday 10 December 2006 20:07, John Andersen wrote:
> On Sunday 10 December 2006 15:21, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > > More to the point:  Have you ever heard of someone putting a link
> > > to an rpm on a page and then making it impossible to save as?
> >
> > However, if you
> > right-click that link and "Save Link As..." it allows you to save
> > something, but the bytes you get
> > are the HTML of the login page.
>
> So that would be a YES, then.....

Yes. The evidence is clear from the Oracle page I referred you to.
People do in fact arrange such things as links to RPMs that cannot be
saved. Sometimes they cannot be saved at all or and sometimes what is
saved is something other than the RPM file that seemed to be the link
target.

But my real point was that the absence of a "Save Link As..." command on
a link's context menu does _not_ imply that Firefox is "horribly
broken," as you contended.

RRS