[opensuse] Bad display on new monitor
  • From: Rob Wright <suserob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:24:24 -0600
Greetings,

I had my trusty KDS monitor die on me over the weekend, so I've hooked up a
new Acer AL1916W widescreen flatpanel. I had some trouble initially but after
monitor.

Now, my KDE looks like, well, it looks like crap. My fonts in particular are
horrible, they're jagged and extremely hard to read. Is there something I
should install to remedy the situation, or some other setings to adjust? So
far the setup I have, via Yast, is as follows:

-------------------------------------
Card: ATI Rage 128 PF

Monitor: ACR AL1916W
Diagonal 19 inches
Aspect Ration 16/10
Display Size
X Axis 409
Y Axis 256
Sync Frequencies
Horizontal 30-82
Vertical 56-76

Resolution 1440x900 (WXGA)
Colors (16.7 Million) [24 bit]

No 3d Acceleration.

I have font anti-aliasing in the KDE control panel set for "slight". KDE 3.5

Additionally, I get a blank screen for a few seconds after the boot options
menu and the login screen comes up, in runlevel 5. Normally I boot into
runlevel 3, but when I do this with the new monitor all I get is a floating
"Input Not Supported" screen and never any display.

I've attached the monitor to an older Linux server with no GUI on it at all,
and the monitor works brilliantly there.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Rob Wright
suserob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx