Re: [opensuse] article about Midnight Commander
  • From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:08:40 +0200
Rajko M wrote:
<snip>

One of them is a file manager that was designed for text mode, but it can be used in GUI too. It is good old Midnight Commander.

http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander

Once user overcomes initial learning how to handle basic operations, and that is really minimal effort, it will stay addicted to *mc* forever. The article is not meant as copy of F1 (help) key, but just as a simple introduction with more on subpages. One subpage is already there http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander/Tips

Please review article and give comments what can be added/changed to make it even more usable.
I would add something into the HOWTO about opening files that require a GUI from an XTerm or terminal ie using an xterm i open mc and navigate to the OOo file I want to edit. How can I open that selected file in OOo? The same would apply if I opened a termainal with Ctrl-Alt-F4, opened mc, navigated to the file. How could I open it in the GUI screen from mc, provided of course that I am already logged in on the GUI(Ctrl-Alt-F7).

Tnx