Re: [opensuse] Nic or Hub - Something is going PLONK soon?
  • From: James Wright <jamfwright@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:09:29 -0500
On Sunday 10 December 2006 5:12 pm, John Andersen wrote:
> Lately my 10.1 log is starting to get many instances of the following:
>
> ----------------
> Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.
> Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: Probably a duplex mismatch. See
<trimmed>

> The mentioned text file suggests a duplex mismatch, but this is not so,
> ethtool reports:
> Settings for eth0:
> Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
> Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
> 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
> Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
> Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
> 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
> Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
> Speed: 10Mb/s <<<<<<<<<<
> Duplex: Half <<<<<<<<<<
<trimmed>

> Any clue what would cause a nic to all of a sudden decide that it
> had a duplex mismatch every so often? Occasionally it is so
> frequent as to make even web browsing difficult.

Here are a few things that I can think of:

1) Cable is bad

2) NIC or hub is bad (try a different port on the hub?)

3) Possible electrical interference passing through the cable (any electrical
cords passing over this network cable?)

4) Auto-negotiation is not working as it should and/or reporting the correct
value. You may want to ensure that the NIC is indeed using Half Duplex by
issuing the command:

ethtool -s eth0 duplex half

I hope that this helps in some way.

- James W.