Re: [opensuse]
  • From: Curtis Rey <crey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 15:32:12 -0800

On Sun December 10 2006 07:10, Frank Arnold wrote:
> OK, I downloaded andd wrote to a DVD the
> iso file for Suse 10.2. 10.1 now insssssssssstalled on thiss computer.
> Will this new DVD ddo an upgrade or will it wipe aou all the data
> in my home direectory?

You get to choose whether or not you want to do a upgrade or a clean install.
Another option if you do a clean install is to import an existing "fstab" and
then it will only format what you tell it to (providing that you tell it not
to format if it's set to automatically format x,y or z partitions).

I would strongly suggest creating separate partitions for you /home directory.
This enables you to format the / (root) directory (and if you want you can
also do this with /usr/local and /root directories as well). If you haven't
sequestered your /home and /usr/local directories then back up your
data/files/etc that you want to save.

If you find yourself in a position to have to re-format your partitions then I
would strongly suggest creating separate partitions for /home at least.

My Linux partition is as follows:

/dev/hdb6 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/hdc1 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb13 /usr ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hdb12 /usr/local ext3 defaults 1 2

I re-formated / and /usr, but left /usr/local and /home untouched.
After the install, during setup of the users accounts I was asked if I wanted
to use any existing users directories/accounts. I answered yes and it import
the users settings in the sys config (eg. pam, pswrds, etc) - very nice
feature.

Using the "expert" option in the partitioning tool during setup and then
importing an existing fstab is very useful if you also are running a dual
boot sys - eg. SuSE and XP.

HTH, Curtis.

- --
Spammers Beware: Trespassers will be shot,
survivors will be shot again!

Like the song say: "Everything's 'Zen'... I don't think so"!