[opensuse] Nic or Hub - Something is going PLONK soon?
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:12:59 -0900
Lately my 10.1 log is starting to get many instances of the following:

----------------
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: Probably a duplex mismatch. See
Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 791618(2) current
791618(2)
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: Transmit list 00000000 vs. e6110340.
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 0: @e6110200 length 80000042 status 00010042
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 1: @e61102a0 length 80000534 status 80010534
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 2: @e6110340 length 80000042 status 00010042
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 3: @e61103e0 length 800005e2 status 000105e2
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 4: @e6110480 length 80000042 status 00010042
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 5: @e6110520 length 800002ff status 000102ff
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 6: @e61105c0 length 800005d6 status 000105d6
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 7: @e6110660 length 800005d6 status 000105d6
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 8: @e6110700 length 8000052f status 0001052f
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 9: @e61107a0 length 80000276 status 00010276
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 10: @e6110840 length 80000056 status 00010056
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 11: @e61108e0 length 800001cd status 000101cd
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 12: @e6110980 length 80000036 status 00010036
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 13: @e6110a20 length 80000118 status 00010118
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 14: @e6110ac0 length 80000042 status 00010042
Dec 10 09:56:56 pen kernel: 15: @e6110b60 length 80000042 status 00010042
--------------------

This is a 3com nic:
Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone] (rev 30)

(I have been violating my own advice which is to listen for the nice plonk
sound any 3com nic makes as it hits the bottom of the waste basket. This one
only survives because it has been running more or less flawlessly for many
years.)

The mentioned text file suggests a duplex mismatch, but this is not so,
ethtool reports:
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 10Mb/s <<<<<<<<<<
Duplex: Half <<<<<<<<<<
Port: MII
PHYAD: 24
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Current message level: 0x00000001 (1)
Link detected: yes
-----------------------
Its connected to a rather ancient 10meg hub that connects to
my cable modem as there is no need for more than 10 meg
to the cable modem, and I like a hub for this position so I can
run ethereal on what is reaching the modem.

That hub is only capable of 10mb/half

Any clue what would cause a nic to all of a sudden decide that it
had a duplex mismatch every so often? Occasionally it is so
frequent as to make even web browsing difficult.

--
John Andersen