Re: [opensuse] Splitting MP3's
  • From: Pete Connolly <pete.connolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 21:51:42 +0000
On Sunday 10 December 2006 21:37, John K Masters wrote:
> Thank you for your patience but it seems I DO have to compile as the repos,
> including Packman, do NOT provide Audacity with MP3 support WITHOUT
> installing extra libs, which the RPM then does not see. If you Google for
> ``audacity libmad'' you will see many examples of failed attempts to
> install Audacity and NO solutions. It seems it's a Suse thing. Not to
> worry, I'm only passing through as they say.
>
> I have tried hard to like Suse over the years (and there are a lot of
> things to like) but I shall probably go back to Deb or maybe Slack.
>
> Peace!

Hi John

I've got Audacity installed on opensuse 10.2 with full MP3 support, including
audacity. The default installation contains zero support for MP3s apart from
the realplayer engine if you include the non-oss CD or installation source.

I use smart to do my package management and have the following channels set
up. They provide just about everything I need to run a great desktop distro.

talshiar:/home/peter # smart channel --show
[rpm-sys]
type = rpm-sys
name = RPM System

[Opensuse mirror]
type = yast2
name = opensuse_mirror
baseurl = http://mirrors.kernel.org/opensuse/distribution/10.2/repo/oss/

[guru]
type = yast2
name = Guru 3rd party package repository
baseurl = http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/10.2

[X11:XGL]
type = rpm-md
name = Repository for Xgl and related packages that give your Desktop some
bling (openSUSE_10.2)
baseurl = http://software.opensuse.org/download/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_10.2/

[Mirror non-oss]
type = yast2
name = mirror-non-oss
baseurl =
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/10.2/repo/non-oss/

[packman]
type = rpm-md
name = packman
baseurl = ftp://packman.links2linux.org/pub/packman/suse/10.2/

[smart]
type = rpm-md
name = Guru smart repository
priority = 10
baseurl = http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/smart/repo/10.2

If you use smart, add these channels (use the command 'smart channel --show'
to check them, you should be able to do a 'smart --gui' then select some
interesting software in the Productivity/Multimedia/Sound section. Don't
forget mplayer and the w32 codecs!

Good luck

Cheers

Pete