Re: [opensuse] KPowersave Crash (10.2)
  • From: Adi Pircalabu <adi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:40:11 +0200
Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Sunday 10 December 2006 11:14, Adi Pircalabu wrote:
>> Randall R Schulz wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> For quite a while in my testing of OpenSUSE 10.2 (possibly ever
>>> since I started with alpha5, but I'm not sure), I've been seeing a
>>> KDE Crash alert for KPowersave every time I log in.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what role this application plays in normal system
>>> operation. Nothing is overtly malfunctioning as far as I can tell.
>> Its help says: "KPowersave is a utility used to set power consumption
>> and conservation options."
>> It is essential for mobile users, I usually disable it for desktop
>> computers.
>>
>>> The system is an always-on desktop.
>>>
>>> % rpm -qa |egrep -i powersave
>>> kpowersave-0.7.1-6
>>> powersave-0.15.10-3
>>> powersave-libs-0.15.10-3
>>>

>>> How should I deal with this? Should the application be running? If
>>> not, how do I get KDE to stop launching it when I log in?
>> Edit ~/.kde/share/config/kpowersaverc and set Autostart to "false"
>
> That setting was not present, and as I said in my reply to Leen Meyer,
> KPowersave doesn't appear to get as far as reading its rc file before
> crashing. Something else is starting it and that's where I'm going to
> have effect a change.
>
> The only file anywhere in the ~/.kde hierarchy that mentions KPowersave
> in any form (besides its own rc file) is .../share/config/kickerrc.
> This file contains two seemingly relevant entries:
>
> I have the stack back-trace from the KDE Crash Handler, but since this
> is not a debug version of the program, there are no symbols, just
> addresses:
[...]
> (no debugging symbols found)
> [KCrash handler]
> #9 0xb673c197 in dbus_threads_init () from /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3
> #10 0xb6729622 in dbus_connection_send_with_reply ()
> from /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3
> #11 0xb67298ea in dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block ()
> from /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3
> #12 0xb6763163 in libhal_device_property_exists ()
> from /usr/lib/libhal.so.1
> #13 0xb679f5a0 in dbusHAL::halGetPropertyString ()
> from /opt/kde3/lib/libkdeinit_kpowersave.so
> #14 0xb67ab4dc in HardwareInfo::checkPowermanagement ()
> from /opt/kde3/lib/libkdeinit_kpowersave.so
> #15 0xb67aed90 in HardwareInfo::HardwareInfo ()
> from /opt/kde3/lib/libkdeinit_kpowersave.so
> #16 0xb67c095f in kpowersave::kpowersave ()
> from /opt/kde3/lib/libkdeinit_kpowersave.so
> #17 0xb67c3c9b in kdemain () from /opt/kde3/lib/libkdeinit_kpowersave.so
> #18 0xb7f47764 in kdeinitmain () from /opt/kde3/lib/kde3/kpowersave.so
> #19 0x0804e33f in QGList::~QGList ()
> #20 0x00000001 in ?? ()
> #21 0x0807e5b0 in ?? ()
> #22 0x00000001 in ?? ()
> #23 0x00000000 in ?? ()

Create a new user and log in as that user. Does it still crash?
What versions of hal/dbus packages do you have? Did you install updated
versions of these packages from 3rd-party repos? The interface may
change between versions major versions. Can you post the output from
"rpm -qa \*hal\* \*dbus\*"?
You can also consider posting to Novell's Bugzilla, at least for
tracking purposes.

--

Adi Pircalabu