Re: [opensuse] Turn off computer.
  • From: Nick Murphy <nickmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:22:15 +0000

Raúl Moratalla wrote:
> El Domingo, 10 de Diciembre de 2006 02:13, Doug McGarrett escribió:
>> I forget how the thread started, but did it work in an earlier
>> SuSE on this machine?
>>
> Yes :)
>
>> If you are dual-booting this machine, does it work in Windows?
>> If not, perhaps the problem is hardware related? You might also
>> try one of the CD Linux versions and see if it shuts off from
>> there.
>>
> It works in windows and Fedora Core 6 that I have installed.
>
>> It seems that several responders to the list are having the same
>> problem, so it is likely to be a bug, but at least verify the
>> above. If you have to report a bug, make sure you specify your
>> MOBO, your CPU, your BIOS and its version, etc., because it's
>> very likely to be MOBO or BIOS specific. (Not everyone is
>> reporting the problem.)
>>
> MOBO?
>
>> BTW: Is there anything relevant in your BIOS setup? Could your
>> on-board BIOS maintenance battery need replacement?
>>
> No, it works fine :)

Yes had the same problem before I upgraded to a core 2 duo with a new
MBO. Before I had an Athlon 64 and lanparty MBO, I convinced myself it
was a hardware problem. I have since put the MBO in my daughters system
with Vista RC (she wants MSN!!!) and it shuts down fine. I gave up
trying to solve the problem I just used to sit with the computer and
press the off switch when the hard disk stopped.

Nick