Re: [opensuse] KPowersave Crash (10.2)
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:17:59 -0800
Leen,

On Sunday 10 December 2006 11:01, Leendert Meyer wrote:
> On Sunday 10 December 2006 19:44, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For quite a while in my testing of OpenSUSE 10.2 (possibly ever
> > since I started with alpha5, but I'm not sure), I've been seeing a
> > KDE Crash alert for KPowersave every time I log in.
> >
> > I'm not sure what role this application plays in normal system
> > operation. Nothing is overtly malfunctioning as far as I can tell.
>
> I use it to "hibernate" my desktop system (suspend to disk). Takes
> about 30 s to shut down, and 45 s to startup. Very nice!

Since this system will be (in part) a server, it will remain an
always-on system. It is by far the slowest system I've ever used as
measured by the time from power-on (or reset) to KDE prompt. Which is
ironic, since it's by far the most high-performing system I've ever
owned.

> > The system is an always-on desktop.
> >
> > % rpm -qa |egrep -i powersave
> > kpowersave-0.7.1-6
> > powersave-0.15.10-3
> > powersave-libs-0.15.10-3
>
> Yup, have those too.
>
> > How should I deal with this? Should the application be running? If
> > not, how do I get KDE to stop launching it when I log in? If it is
> > important, how might I diagnose and repair the problem?
>
> Hmm, might be an error in it's config file? Try logging out, renaming
> ~/.kde/share/config/kpowersaverc, and logging in again.

The current contents (as I'm logged in) are pretty simple:

-==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
[General]
AlreadyStarted=true

[infoDialog]
dbusNotRunning=false
-==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-

> KPowerSave's autostart is an option in its settings dialog. Right
> click on the plug in the system tray, choose Configure KPowersave,
> choose the "General Settings"-tab, "Autostart"-panel.

Of course, since it crashes upon start-up, that tray icon and generally
all KPowersave functionality presented via its GUI is unavailable!

Attempting to start it via the KDE menu produces the same crash,
instantaneously.

I then removed ~/.kde/share/config/kpowersaverc and launched KPowersave
again, but the results were the same. In fact, it did not get far
enough to re-create the kpowersaverc file.

> You might want to try disable the autostart, quitting KPowersve, and
> starting it from a terminal. Maybe you get some useful messages.

As above, nothing that requires KPowersave to be running is an option,
as things stand.

> Cheers,
>
> Leen

Randall Schulz