Re: [opensuse] vobcopy and damaged disk
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:59:55 -0500
On Sunday 10 December 2006 13:12, Simon Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an old home movie DVD which I didn't store very well. I wanted to
> copy some of it and edit it to make a Christmas gift for relatives, but I
> can't read it due to some corruptions. I'm using vobcopy to get it onto my
> machine prior to editing, and the problem is that as soon as vobcopy comes
> across an error, it gives up totally. I was hoping there might be some way
> to persuade it to skip over the corrupted part and keep copying after that
> point. At least then I could use the undamaged parts of the movie to make
> my new compilation. Is this possible, my DVD player still seems able to
> play most of it, it just does the "jitter and skip" thing at a number of
> points.
>
> Any thoughts? I suppose I could re-digitize the output of the DVD player
> itself, but that sounds like a really yukky option.

Have you tried polishing the DVD? I assume it has scratches and maybe
gouges. I have worked wonders (with a lot of elbow grease) by using a low
abrasive cleaner like car polish or car wax. Test what you are going to use
on an old CD or such to see if it helps. But I don't think I've ever made a
DVD worse off after trying to reclaim it.