Re: [opensuse] Intel_AGP / AGPgart / P965 / G965 / ASUS P5B Deluxe Mix-up
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 07:58:30 -0800
Bernhard,

Thanks!

On Sunday 10 December 2006 07:41, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> * Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> [2006-12-10 16:24]:
> >
> > Perhaps you know if there is a way, short of recompiling the
> > kernel, to suppress the agpgart-related modules? Can you answer
> > these questions:
>
> You mean just prevent the modules from beiing loaded automatically?
> Yes, of course, just enter
>
> blacklist intel_agp

Excellent. That's almost too easy, but it seems to have done the trick.

Clearly I don't need the intel_agp, and that seems like the most likely
culprit for the symptom I'm seeing.

Does the agpgart module or any of the others you mentioned provide any
advantages for a system with an nVidia card (GeForce 7300)? Does it
interact with or mutually exclude the nVidia proprietary driver (which
I'm not yet running, but did install during pre-release testind and
will probably install again at some point)?

> in /etc/modprobe.conf.local file. And any other module you want to
> supress from loading.
>
> > The facts I have about symptoms are:
>
> Is there a report in Bugzilla? If no, please enter one. Thanks. I
> don't know the answer now without investigation.

I'll file one.

> > > Does it work with vanilla 2.6.19? All these patches are from
> > > 2.6.19 (I think).
> >
> > I don't know. I don't know how to find out.
>
> Ok, if you don't know how to compile and install a kernel, it's
> nothing for you. Currently there's no RPM package for 2.6.19.

I've done it, but my understanding is that SuSE kernels are
significantly patched w.r.t. the stock Linux kernels.

> Regards,
> Bernhard

Randall Schulz