Re: [opensuse] Intel_AGP / AGPgart / P965 / G965 / ASUS P5B Deluxe Mix-up
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 07:24:37 -0800
Bernhard,

On Sunday 10 December 2006 04:47, Bernhard Walle wrote:

> Well, we added
>
> - patches.drivers/agp-dma32: Allocate AGP pages with GFP_DMA32
> by default.
> - patches.drivers/965-drm: drm: Add support for Intel i965G
> chipsets..
> - patches.drivers/965-agp: Intel 965 Express support..
> - patches.drivers/965-agp-suspend: Add suspend callback for i965.

Perhaps you know if there is a way, short of recompiling the kernel, to
suppress the agpgart-related modules? Can you answer these questions:

I have a nVidia board (and no mainboard graphics), do I need the agpgart
and / or intel_agp kernel modules at all? And if not, how can I
suppress them so I can reenable memory mapping and regain use of my
system's RAM above 3GB?

The facts I have about symptoms are:

1) The start-up logging to the primary console (as in ALT-F1) shows
these lines:

-==-
Starting udevd Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel 965G Chipset.
-==-

At this point, the system hangs hard, requiring a power cycle or a press
of the reset button to get out.

2) The BIOS has feature that allows remapping of PCI I/O addresses out
of the 3GB - 4GB region so RAM in that region may be accessed.
Disabling that option alleviates the symptom (and renders 1 GB of my
RAM inaccessible, of course).

3) The kernels supplied with alpha5, beta1, beta2 and RC1 did not have
this problem. The GM release's kernel does.

The hardware is:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 CPU
- Intel P965 (_not_ G965) chipset
- ICH8R

Other hardware information is available here:
<http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&model=1295&modelmenu=1>.

> Does it work with vanilla 2.6.19? All these patches are from 2.6.19
> (I think).

I don't know. I don't know how to find out.

> Regards,
> Bernhard

Randall Schulz