Re: [opensuse] Sound issues when installing 10.2
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:08:36 +1100
Clayton wrote:
I've just installed 10.2. The installation itself goes ok. I've
installed the default selection for KDE, and doen the online update
during install. No additional tweaking or fiddling.

Everything seems OK until KDE starts up. In KDE, I have no sound at
all. If I fire up YAST and check the Sound card set up there, it's
identified the Soundblaster Live 24 that I have, and if I test the
sound, it works fine (I hear the sample sound).

This isn't a case of the volumes are turned down... this is KDE not
picking up the sound card - anything that attempts to play a sound in
KDE is either totally silent, or errors out with a message about no
sound device found.

If I plug in my Logitech USB headset (was not connected at install),
any sounds I attempt to play are routed there (eg Amarok stops
complaining that there are no audio devices and plays any OGG file I
feed it).

I've also gone into YAST and told it to set snd0 (my SoundBlaster Live
24) as the default/primary card. No changes. In YAST I can play test
sounds through the sound card, but nowhere else (so far)

I've tried adding a new user... same problem. I've exited to init 3
logged in as root, deleted _everything_ in my /home/$USER and back to
init 5. Still.. exact same situation.

So.. ummm.. now what? Not 100% sure where to take this.. or how to
solve it. Any suggestions?

I am having or had (am not too sure at the moment with so much fiddling going on! :-( ) with sound in 10.2 (I mentioned it in the factory list) but re your hassle: did you set the sound system in Personal Settings - Audio for Alsa sound system? Also check to see if in Kmix you have the green LEDs showing to indicate that the (correct) channel(s) is/has been activated. (BTW, are you working with 32- or 64-bit? I ask because I was/am having trouble with 32-bit but someone with 64-bit was replying to me saying that he was not having problems.)

(I should mention that I was getting sound when doing the test for sound and was getting sound when playing an audio CD but could not get sound in kradio nor tvtimes or the other tv apps.)

Cheers.