Re: [opensuse] Installing RAID 5
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:18:18 -0900
On Saturday 09 December 2006 18:19, Thomas Miller wrote:
> I want to setup a RAID 5. I have 4 250GB drivers. One currently has
> SUSE 10.2 / Xen installed.
>
> I tried installing the RAID right off the bat, but it didn't work. The
> install always died.
>
> So I installed everything without the RAID configuration and it went
> great. Now I am ready to create the RAID 5 and would like some advise.
> I plan on using the RAID to store the VM files for Xen.
>
> I tried it with an LVM and without, both failed. Could it be that I
> need an updated NVIDIA driver?

I presume you mean software raid 5?

First, although it is possible to get the root on raid, its a whole lot
easier not to.

That leave you with 3 drives. With raid 5 you will get n-1 worth
of space, so you will get 2x250meg of raid 5 space.

Now how are they cabled? You don't want any two of them
on the same header. Performance will be degraded if you do.
How much? Hard to say. Like every thing else in linux there is
a great deal of hand wringing over this issue.

But assuming you have at least 3 controllers on the machin
you should be good to go.

Lots of good howto articles on the web, many quite old.
Try here:
http://www.networknewz.com/2003/0113.html

--
John Andersen