Re: [opensuse] Emergency CD?
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:57:48 +1100
Thomas Miller wrote:
Is there anyway to make an emergency CD? I don't have 7 floppies :-)

QUOTE

On Monday 27 November 2006 16:24, Basil Chupin wrote:

Hi,

> > Following the instructions in the Manual I created a boot CD on the
> > assumption that it will boot me into my installed system in the same
> > manner that is done from the Installation CD/DVD (but without having
> > to go thru all the rigmarole of selecting the language etc.).

yes, it boots you directly into the installed system just as if you
would have installed GRUB on your harddisk.

> > Booting the CD only gives me the grub> prompt but I expected to be
> > actually booted into my system -- or am I expecting too much?
> >
> > I suspect that I have incorrectly specified the CD as the device from
> > which to boot. Here is the menu.lst which I included for the iso
> > image - is the reference to the CD correct, please? My CD-ROM is
> > /dev/hdb.

No the reference should be (cd) as stated in the manual.

However, I took this post as a cause to have a closer look at the manual
(I am maintaining the GRUB chapter) and unfortunately found
errors ;-((. Here is the correct recipe:

1 Change into a directory in which to create the ISO image, for example:
cd /tmp

2 Create a subdirectory for GRUB:
mkdir -p iso/boot/grub

3 Copy the kernel, the files stage2_eltorito, initrd, menu.lst, and
message to iso/boot/:

cp /boot/vmlinuz iso/boot/
cp /boot/initrd iso/boot/
cp /boot/message iso/boot/
cp /usr/lib/grub/stage2_eltorito iso/boot/grub
cp /boot/grub/menu.lst iso/boot/grub

4 Adjust the path entries in iso/boot/grub/menu.lst to make them point
to a CD-ROM device. Do this by replacing the device name of the hard
disks, listed in the format (hd*), in the pathnames with the device
name of the CD-ROM drive, which is (cd):

timeout 8
default 0
gfxmenu (cd)/boot/message

title Linux
root (cd)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 vga=794 resume=/dev/hda1 \
splash=verbose showopts
initrd /boot/initrd

Use splash=silent instead of splash=verbose to prevent the boot
messages from showing up during the boot procedure.

5 Create the ISO image with the following command:

mkisofs -R -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot \
-boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o grub.iso /tmp/iso

6 Write the resulting file grub.iso to a CD using your preferred
utility. Do not burn the iso image as data file, but use the “Burn CD
Image� option of your burning utility.

UNQUOTE

Cheers.