Re: [opensuse] hard drive problem, help, please
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 22:02:29 -0500
On Saturday 09 December 2006 21:36, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> I'm having a problem with a setup using 2 hard drives.
> hda is XP, hdb is Suse 10.0. If both drives are
> connected, something is telling the bios that there are NO
> hard drives connected. If I disconnect hdb, I get
> a message that the primary hard drive has been
> detected. Then when the system tries to boot I
> get a grub failure error. I really don't need Linux on that
> machine. How can I get the machine to boot into XP
> without the grub boot error, with the second drive disconnected?
> I am also having trouble with the CD player on that machine,
> so it's problematical if I can boot off a CD. (I don't have
> any kind of backup disk for XP, as far as I remember.)
> I could have done this with an old Windows, with fdisk mbr,
> off of a floppy, but I don't know what XP wants.
>
> --doug

Doug,

This is a SUSE-centric list. It isn't very good form to ask questions here
about solving XP problems. This is definitely an XP problem if you're not
intending to recover/preserve your SUSE installation. That being said:

Go to <http://www.theeldergeek.com/> and research how to restore/reinstall the
system's XP boot menu.

If you Google, you will quickly find many XP boot diskette images available
that you can transfer to floppy and use to boot into XP. If you've installed
XP's command line 'recovery console' in parallel with the system, you won't
need the original CD to run the console and recover/rebuild/restore the XP
boot manager.

Good luck!

Carl