[opensuse] The verdict: 10.2 much nicer on my laptop than 10.0 or 10.1
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 16:39:46 -0800
Everything I've tried so far works, and works well!

It's snappier than 10.1, and in combination with the nvidia-1.0-9631 drivers,
I'm happy to say that the old screen blanking problem is gone. That is to say,
I can close the laptop lid for some hours, or all night, or just leave the
laptop sitting, and when I come back to it, the screen unblanks properly and
everything works. With previous versions of suse on this laptop running the
accelerated OpenGL drivers, what would happen is that once the screen blanked,
that was the end of the session - no way to get it back, the only option was
to kill X and log in again.

I have to say, quake 3 arena runs great, as does frozen bubble 2.0 -

Some minor glitches - I could not install the nvidia drivers with yast, it
complained about there being no providers of kernel for the kernel module, or
some such irritation. I just downloaded the latest driver from the nvidia site
and installed it the old school way.

Overall, I like it a lot, and it makes my laptop completely usable.

Joe