Re: [opensuse] Missing i686 packages from download.opensuse.org
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 09:20:37 -0800
On Saturday 09 December 2006 05:16, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> On Saturday 09 December 2006 04:28, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> > On Dec 8 2006 14:32, Wade Berrier wrote:
> > >Any particular reason there are no i686 rpms available from
> > >download.opensuse.org?
> >
> > Why do you need i686? (Ok, there are a few like glibc.) i586 works for
> > everyone.
>
> That's a question I've wondered about - If we have a 686 system wouldn't
> the 686 packages be better than the 586?

I always try to get the i686 versions, too. I notice quite often that they are
more seamless to run than the i586 versions. I'm guessing there's some
compilation which takes into account the newer processors.

I suppose it is more of a "seat of the pants" type feeling and I doubt I'd be
able to document it so I expect a bunch of hardcore geeks to come back and
tell me I'm wrong and that I should just be using assembler programs written
for the 8086 in commandline since I'd be better off anyway.

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request