Re: [opensuse] openexchange
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:10:54 +0200
Hi!

On 11/29/06, Dominique Leuenberger <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, that's a sad story. SLOX (SuSE Linux OpenXchange) was very
promising. When SuSE got bought by Novell, there were far to many
Messaging services around (netmail, groupwise, slox), so slox had to go
away.

2-3 years ago, I looked at alternatives to Exchange. All I found was
SLOX. Looked good. Goal: linux server, windows desktops with outlook.
Just slightly one year ago, we had to make a decision. Until that we
only had linux servers. Users wanted calendar with the features from
Outlook and Exchange. SLOX had not gone anywhere, so we desided that
it's not the route to go. And still no other alternatives. So the easy
choice then (even for me) was to go with Small Business Server. SLOX
was the only alternative. I just do not know what the "linux people"
look in a groupware clients and servers. What the users want is in
Outlook+Exchange. If you do not even want to produce that, you will
not compete.

I'm sad to see SLOX go, but I'm also glad I didn't push that... life
has been easy with Exchange.

--
HG.