Fwd: Re: [opensuse] earth to Andreas, earth to Andreas Comein Andreas
  • From: steve reilly <sfreilly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 23:06:37 -0500

On Friday 08 December 2006 15:17, M Harris wrote:
> Andreas,
> What is it going to take to get Novell to get (someone, anyone) to
> pre-install SLED 10x on anything? (please)
>
> its time
>

> --
> Kind regards,
>
> M Harris <><

google linux shows over 100 hits for lenovo... they install
for larger customers.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2004023,00.asp?rsDis=Lenovo_to_Install_L
inux_on_ThinkPads-Page001-186179

In my humble opinion, Its going to be a while before you see mass
installation of any linux by a manufacturer. There simply is lack of
support from any major 3rd party software vendor, drivers, etc. Ive used it
for 4 years now, and lets not fool ourselves, it HAS come a LONG way, but it
still has a LONG way to go. Most people would not fiddle with cedega like I
do for hours at a time just to get one game to work. Nor, would they want to
drop to run level 3, and use the command line to install a graphics driver.

SLED 10 or any MAJOR linux distro is perfect for education, or a business
desktop, where they use a core set of programs and do not vary. (web
browser, spreadsheet, word processing) I am pushing the school district
where we live to look at Novell for a linux solution....... I would love to
have my kids see SLED at school , AND at home. A perfect world!

sorry, I got off the subject.

--
This computer is powered by OpenSuse 10.2
kernel-2.6.18.2-33-default