Re: [opensuse] Compiling a metalink client - aria2 - impossible [Solved]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 01:28:53 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2006-12-08 at 00:33 +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:

> > And I insist that I don't want to add a new repository to Yast, because
> > that operation takes over an hour, and then YOU takes even longer to
> > start. I understand that repositories solve it another way - I didn't know
> > that previously - but that makes things more difficult for installing a
> > single lone rpm.
>
> Certainly, but really, there's no other way to do it.
> Packages do have dependencies.
> Adding a repository taking hours is a problem with YaST in 10.1, not
> with the repository itself ;)

Of course, of course :-)

> > Hey! You are way too touchy. I never said that, and even less referring to
> > _you_. I didn't know it was you. And that's true even if you don't believe
> > me.
>
> You certainly implied it, pretty much.
> But whatever, I guess we both had a bad day ;)

That's right. Sorry if I gave that impression. I was frustrated at the
moment.

> > That's similar to the method I have used, except the autoreconf part
> > (which bombs out in my system, anyway).
>
> Hmm.. strange, it works here.
> I do "autoreconf -fiv" in my spec file.
> You must have autoconf, automake, libtool, gettext-devel and intltool
> installed to do the autoreconf.

Dunno... I have never used autoreconf, I'm not a linux developer... I
always start with "configure". Too many tricks to learn, so I skipped that
one O:-)

> > But the CXXFLAGS trick doesn't work; observe what I get:
> > checking for libxml - version >= 2.6.24...
> > *** An old version of libxml (2.6.23) was found.
> > *** You need a version of libxml newer than 2.6.24. The latest version of
> > *** libxml is always available from ftp://ftp.xmlsoft.org.
> > ***
> > It still wants a newer version of the libxml, and without it, metalink
> > support is disabled.
>
> Ok, that's another problem. Forgot about that one.
> libxml2-2.6.24 packages are available from Packman.

I thought you might, but as I didn't see it on your repository, I had
doubts. Heh, static requires would have catched that one ;-)

> But it works fine when using libxml2-2.6.23 at runtime.

Yes, it seems so.

> > Why isn't it there at
> > "ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/10.1/RPMS/src"? That's where I
> > would expect source rpms to be.
>
> No there isn't. With the directory layout I use, the src package is
> always in a "src" subdirectory of the binary packages.
> And I dropped src repositories because:
> http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2006/11/repository-stripping.html

Ah, I see. A good reason, and not many people use the src rpm. I don't,
for instance, with some exceptions; but some times I have a look at them
for clues.

Perhaps you could add a note at the repository?

> > I got it compiled with a hack: editing the configure script thus:
> > min_xml_version=2.6.23
> > # min_xml_version=2.6.24
>
> That's an option as well.
>
> > With that single change, the configure and make works fine (no parameters
> > needed), and the programs seems to run fine, too - so does your version,
>
> If it runs that way, I'll patch the next build of aria2 like that.

It does run, but of course, I can't vouch whether there is some unknown
circumstance in which it wont. That would be a question for their
developers.

It's just a hack.

In fact, Anthony Bryan told me that they lowered the requirement from
2.6.26 to 2.6.24 for Ubuntu, so it is already lower than they originally
designed.

> BTW, I just built ares2 RPMs that don't require cares at runtime (hacked
> the autofools files to link it statically) -- it's in ares2-0.9.0-2 and
> will be on the server and mirrors in a few hours.

Good. Mine uses neither, I haven't bothered O:-)

I suppose it will be slower finding sites, but that doesn't matter for me.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.