Re: [opensuse] NO PERSONAL REPLIES TO POSTINGS ON THIS LIST!!
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:14:15 +0000

John,

answering private emails on a mailing list is considered bad behaviour!!
Please don't do it! There was a reason why I sent my previous email only
to you and not to the list: this topic has been discussed here many
times and it does the list no good to start it all over again. Would be
fine if you could respect private emails!

John wrote:
> [...]
>
> Surely, however, the whole point of having a list is that not only can
> the original posters benefit from the wisdom of others but that others
> who have experienced similar problems can also benefit. Sending a
> private reply cuts them out. Does it not also mess up the list thread in
> the archives?

It does now because you replied to the list. You should never answer
emails that were sent to you as PM on a mailing list.

> If so, then your argument seems, on the face of it, to
> keep knowledge in restricted access rather than open mode.

No, I think you didn't get the point. A list-reply functionality allows
the user to decide whether the email should be public or private. And
there are good reasons why some emails should be private. We could get
rid of a lot of OT emails on this list! In summary:

a) should the list be configured to support all the MUAs that do not
have a list-reply functionality? This requires a reply-to pointing back
to the list address to simplify usage. It will screw up the situation
for anybody who has a MUA with list-reply functionality.

b) should the list be configured to support MUAs with list-reply
functionality? This means, the mailing list software is not allowed to
set a reply-to header. It makes life easier for those who have a MUA
with list-reply functionality but makes life a bit more complicated for
all others. In addition, you can find some documents with technical
arguments for not setting a reply-to header.

The listmaster asked the mailing list members some time ago how to
configure this list. The majority at that time decided to go with option
b). So here we are. I can understand that some people are unhappy with
the current situation but this is no reason to start the discussion
about this topic again every week. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Cheers, Th.