RE: [opensuse] Elementary Device Info Question
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:26:10 -0600
On Thursday, December 07, 2006 @ 1:29 PM, Geir Myrestrand wrote:

>Greg Wallace wrote:
>> I feel pretty stupid asking such an elementary question, but don't know
how
>> to look it up. What command will tell me the block size of a given hard
>> drive? It could also be a command that gives it to me for all drives but
>> really only need it for a particular one right now (/dev/sda5), though
one
>> that would list all drives and their attributes would probably be more
>> useful long term.

>blockdev from the util-linux package.

>--

>Geir A. Myrestrand

Looks like this was actually the command I needed, as opposed hwinfo. I
keyed in --

blockdev --getbsz /dev/sda and got back 4096. So, it would appear that a
"block" on my drives consists of 8 sectors. It was really the block size I
was interested in. hwinfo did not give me the block size; if it did, it was
buried somewhere in there and I couldn't pick it out.

Thanks,
Greg Wallace