RE: [opensuse] Elementary Device Info Question
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 15:58:22 -0600
I just wrote:

>>On Thursday, December 07, 2006 @ 1:33 PM, Geir Myrestrand wrote:
>> Greg Wallace wrote:
>>> one
>>> that would list all drives and their attributes would probably be more
>>> useful long term.

>>For that purpose you could use `hwinfo --disk`.

>>--

>>Geir A. Myrestrand

>This command did the job. Both of my drives are 512, so that would seem to
>be in line with what Randall said; i. e., that 512 is pretty much standard
>these days, at least based on what I have.

Some time back, I used Partition Magic to format a device and I would swear
I was able to specify 4096 as a block size. I split the device into two
partitions and made one of them NTFS and the other EXT2. I can't remember
for sure, but I sort of think it was on the NTFS partition that I used the
4096, but maybe it was both of them. Could I possibly have done that on
either of those partitions? Maybe that's only possible on NTFS partitions.
The reason I made them (it) so large was that I was only going to use the
device for full system backups (20 Gig files, more or less) and I thought
the bigger the block size the faster the IO. That may not have been a
correct assumption anyway, but in some test cases I ran the io seemed to be
faster with the bigger block sizes.

Greg Wallace