Re: [opensuse] Elementary Device Info Question
  • From: "Geir A. Myrestrand" <geir.myrestrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:24:55 -0500
Felix Miata wrote:
On 2006/12/07 11:42 (GMT-0800) Randall R Schulz apparently typed:

I am curious if there are any magnetic drives in common use today (say, IDE-, SATA -, SCSI-, FireWire- or USB-connected and 15,000 RPM or less) whose native sector size is anything other than 512 bytes?

I bought a couple of SCSI disks claimed to be "good" off eBay several
years ago. All the partitioning software I tried on them complained they
were unusable. Turned out LLF was required to convert them from 520
(IIRC) btye sectors used by Unix System 5 to standard 512 bytes sectors
in order for me to use them.

I believe NetApp used 520 bytes for a while to facilitate block checksums. Also, I think both IBM AS/400 and iSeries use 520 bytes. I think EMC Clariion uses 520 bytes too, but I am not sure if it has to be.

--

Geir A. Myrestrand