[opensuse] On my SUSE linux 10.1 kernel: ide: failed opcode was 0xef
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 06:45:49 -0700
Hello,

On my laptop I just started getting this error below about 3 weeks ago. I
have tried to track it down, but I have been unsuccessfule. The message
in the log is...

Dec 6 06:33:35 blg kernel: ide: failed opcode was: 0xef

This is the last message in logs and then I am not able to close any
windows in KDE or write to the HD. The only way to get things to work is
a power off. I have been unable to track down what is causing this
problem. It can happen from an hour to 6 days. That is the longest I
have made it. I have another laptop which is almost exactly the same and
it never happens. Any ideas on how to find the cause? I do notice that
the machine near the right side of the keyboard some times is a bit warm,
but I am not sure if that is the problem. If the machine is hung and I go
to one of my X-terms on the machine I quicly find out that it is hung. An
other symtom is the clock in the lower right conner stops advancing. Also
the repeat on the arrow keys stops functioning.

Thanks,

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>