Re: [opensuse] Spamassassin Dependency in kde?
  • From: Pete Connolly <pete.connolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:17:59 +0000
On Wednesday 06 December 2006 20:18, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> On 2006-12-06 13:54, Adi Pircalabu wrote:
> > John Andersen wrote:
> >> extreemly late getting out updates to very time sensitive packages
> >> such as SpamAssassin. These packages are a month old.
> >>
> >> Cpan at most 24 hours old.
> >
> > 1. What is important for you may not be that important for others
>
> Having the most recent virus definition files is not important?

But SA is a spam flagging engine, not an AV system. I use SA and bogofilter
for antispam. The AV work is done by Clam and that is updated on the hour
every hour.

> > 2. Newer does not always mean better/safer/faster. It rather means
> > untested.
>
> Certainly not in the case of virus definition files.

Spam != Virus

> >> A generic question: Why would it be so hard for a software updater
> >> package to check for the existance of packages installed by other
> >> means?
> >
> > Why would you want this mix-up of package & source installed software?
> > Especially, how can a vendor be able to offer support (a generic term
> > for, let's say, software assurance)
> > If a client requires a particular version of some software, so be it,
> > you'll tailor the solution for them. But the stock version should always
> > contain tested software.
>
> I guess you don't care about your clients missing the occasional new
> virus that is only caught in the virus definition update that was
> released today.

See above. I have yet to catch a virus.

I once spent an afternoon running all the dangerous .exe files in my
quarantine folder through WINE to see if I could infect the system. Alas,
the infection rate was low :) I still blew away my test luser account with
the ~/.wine directory!

Cheers

Pete