Re: [opensuse] Which Shell do I Have?
  • From: "Geir A. Myrestrand" <geir.myrestrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 16:32:58 -0500

ls -l /proc/$$/exe
Could you please elaborate why you came up with this solution? I
think this is not portable - for instance, our HP box here has no
procfs, so your solution fails. An "echo $0" should always work
(as far as I know).
I thought it was rather clever.

This is a list for users of openSUSE Linux or of other Novell SuSE
Linux releases. At the very least, Linux is a reasonable assumption
for answers given here, and all current Linux systems have a proc
file system.
Note that procfs is deprecated. It is likely to be removed one day.
To make your solution future-proof you should avoid using it.

"My" solution? I did not propose it, Anders Johansson did.

I never meant to refer to you, Randall. I know it wasn't your proposed solution.

I meant to the ones who implement the solution (of identifying the shell running).

Was my grammar wrong? I think it is correct, but English is just one of my five languages, and it is not my primary language, so I'm sorry if I dragged you into the wrong role here Randall.

"Deprecated" is typically nothing more than a wag of the proverbial finger. And nothing works forever.

Deprecated means it will be removed one day. The sooner people stop using it the sooner it can be removed. Anyway, I agree with you.

But, it looks like procfs is perhaps not deprecated in its entirety after all...(but if someone can find proof one way or the other then I would like to see it, please share)...

--

Geir A. Myrestrand